by Mark Timm, CEO Ziglar Family
We are nearing the end of election season here in the United States, with votes being counted in just a few days. Who knows how crazy it’s going to get?
And with that in mind, I thought I’d take a moment to share with you a few thoughts to help keep you and your family focused on what’s really important in the coming days.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta famously said, “If you want to change the world, go home and love your family.”
Those are some profound words, aren’t they?
And I can’t think of a better way to change the world this week, when change is at the top of everyone’s mind, than to do exactly as she suggests. Go home and love your family.
It doesn’t have to be complicated: you don’t need to write love songs or poems, or send flowers, or make grand gestures.
In fact, you can choose to make it as simple as four letters: T. I. M. E.
If you follow my Ziglar Family live Facebook broadcasts, you may have seen my daughter, Grace, and me talking about the fact that to your family members, love is spelled t-i-m-e.
Spending some quality time with your family this week could be the absolute best way to show them that, no matter what is happening in the outside world, everyone is safe and loved at home.
Need some ideas for ways to be present with your family members this week?
- Make it a goal to have dinner together more nights than not. (And put those phones away so you can really talk —and listen— to each other!)
- Better yet, MAKE dinner together! Something easy, like tacos, is a lot of fun.
- Let the kids choose a game or two and have a family game night.
- Read aloud to your kids before bedtime from their choice of book.
- Use time in the car to connect with your teens. Sometimes they are more comfortable opening up when they don’t have to look you right in the eye as they talk.
- Enlist your child’s help in a to-do project around the house.
- Take a walk or ride bikes around your neighborhood and enjoy the fall colors.
- Pray together.
Whatever else you choose to do, make sure that every single day you let both your words and your actions show your family members how important they are to you and that you love them.
Zig Ziglar said, “The best way to make your spouse and children feel secure is not with big deposits in bank accounts, but with little deposits of thoughtfulness and affection in the ‘love account.’” Let’s all make some important deposits this week!
Question: How will you spend intentional time with your family this week?