by Mark Timm, CEO Ziglar Family
Do you know what you want to accomplish in 2018? What goals do you have for yourself and your family? This past year was another great year for the Timm family—our best year ever, in fact! We achieved far more than we ever dreamed possible.
But it didn’t happen by accident.
Our success started a few years ago when my wife Ann and I had a conversation. We knew there was more we could and should be doing in life, work, and family.
But it felt as if we never had enough time, energy, or focus to get it all done. We began asking each other questions about our goals and challenging one another to rethink our direction.
About that time, I had the opportunity to watch some videos from a course created by a friend of mine, Michael Hyatt, called Best Year Ever.
After I watched the videos, I asked Ann, “What if we could make next year our best year ever?”
She smiled and asked, “What’s the catch?”
I asked if she would be interested in getting away and going through Michael’s course with me to see if it would help us get more intentional and accomplish more of the things we wanted to get done.
She agreed to embark on the journey, and we went through the course together.
It was much easier than we anticipated; the process was straightforward and uncluttered.
The results proved to be just as valuable for us at home as they were at work — especially helpful for managing life with six kids!
5 Benefits We Got from the Course
The Best Year Ever course helped us in 5 distinct ways because it:
- Helped us define what matters most. We knew we could do more than we were doing. We just needed help to put it on paper in words we could use to talk about it.
- Gave us the confidence to know we could do it. We came out of the course with the belief that we could move the needle on the things that matter most to us.
- Led us through the process of setting goals. The course helped us get clear on our beliefs, and then drill down to produce actionable goals. By setting clear and concrete goals, it made us intentional about our efforts.
- Gave us a way to measure progress. Sometimes people set goals, but they’re not smart goals. This course helped us to set smart goals we could achieve and then measure progress.
- Reminded us to celebrate the wins. All too often we go from goal to goal without taking time to celebrate success. But success is what motivates us to go after the next goal.
As powerful as the course was for us, however, our year wasn’t perfect. Yes, we made serious progress, but we failed to accomplish all of our goals.
Seeing that gap caused us to ask, What more can we do for next year?
Taking the New Year to the Next Level
We realized one BIG reason we fell short in some areas: we didn’t involve all of the key players the first year.
It was just Ann and I who went through the course.
But as the parents of six kids—all of whom are part of our family business—there were so many other moving parts that we often felt like we had to compromise our goals to make life work for the kids.
We began to ask: What if this year we involved our children in the goal-setting process right from the start?
And so we did just that.
We went through the course together—the entire Timm family—so we could each set our individual and family goals and then hold one another accountable as a family.
It made all the difference in the world!
We were so successful, in fact, that this coming year will be our third year in a row of going through the Best Year Ever process together!
If you or your family need help getting clarity on your goals and feeling confident about your direction in the coming year, I cannot say enough about this course from Michael Hyatt.
A great place to start is with his 100% free LifeScore Assessment, an easy, quick, and effective tool for helping you measure where you are in each domain of your life: relationships, health, career, intellectual growth — it shows you where you’re excelling and where you should focus your improvement efforts. (Note: This free assessment is only available through December 6, 2017!)
I encourage you to take some time in the next week to evaluate where you are now as compared to where you want to be at this time next year. After all, as Mr. Zig Ziglar said, “The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you think you can only do a little.”
What score did you earn on the FREE LifeScore Assessment? You can share your results below!